Saturday, February 27, 2016

V for Victory

The Victory campaign was popularised by Winston Churchill in 1941. He upheld his fingers in the form of "V".
This "V" was used on so many things, from jewellery to packaging.
Source: www.ashbyinteriors.co.uk 
I decided to do something using the "v" sign. I cut out sunboard first. painted it black. Then i tried bending wires in V shape
But none of them looked too good.
Then I recalled about the ban on silk during the war. I remember reading that new man made fabrics such as nylon were created at the time which were cheaper and of good quality too.
Thats when I cut up some old stocking and started pasting them in V- shape, 
But it felt like I wasn't doing any justice to such a stretchable fabric. So I thought about it and gave myself some break. 
The next day I woke up and all of a sudden my brain told me to use pins to hold it down and stretch the fabric! Thank you brain.
I cut up a 15x15 cm piece of thermocol, Covered it with a black fabric, and started pinning down the stockings fabric. And yes, i pinned it in a way that it looked like the alphabet "V".
Exploring the V- Sign
Stretchable fabric

I'm very happy about this swatch. And I hope you like it too!

V- from stretched fabric
~~.~~

No comments:

Post a Comment